C. David Millican
David joined Watson Millican & Co. in January 2008. He has more than 35 years of operating and consulting experience in the energy industry including pipelines, refining, chemicals, and petroleum product supply and transportation logistics.
David has consulted on diverse areas such as industrial incident investigations, refinery operations and maintenance, planning and economics, feed and product supply and transportation, worldwide refinery performance assessment and improvement, property tax appraisals, large construction disputes, and business interruption and property damage disputes. David has also provided expert testimony in domestic matters and international arbitrations.
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering – Louisiana Tech University – 1985 – Cum Laude
- M.B.A. – Southern Methodist University – 2000
- Construction Arbitration Disputes – Participated in construction arbitration disputes regarding refining, pipeline, and gas plant facilities. Analyzed numerous construction and design defect issues, assessed additional work order claims with reference to the contractual documents and normal industry practice. Prepared expert reports detailing the basis of opinions and findings. Analyzed opposing expert witness report and prepared rejoinder report.
- Industrial Incident Investigation and Litigation – Investigated many industrial accidents including injury and fatalities. Provided consulting assistance or expert testimony regarding roles and responsibilities for contractors, owners and operators work and safety practices in refineries, chemical plants, and other industrial work sites. Also assisted with complex litigation associated with the operations and maintenance of plant environmental and permit compliance equipment.
- MTBE Contamination Dispute – Assisted in defense of oil companies charged with supplying gasoline containing the additive MTBE, which alleged to have contaminated water supplies. Led the preparation of a comprehensive report on refinery supply, pipeline distribution, and retail marketing of gasoline in the area subject to the dispute.
- Property Damage & Business Interruption Claim Reviews – Evaluated Business Interruption (BI) and Property Damage (PD) claims made by refining companies. Analyzed the refinery operating data, production records, feedstock purchase and product sales data, operating plans, accounting records, and other information to evaluate losses resulting from slowdowns or shutdowns of operating units.
- Analysis of Refinery Performance and Operating Practices – Participated in projects for both domestic and international clients analyzing refinery performance gaps relative to peer refineries that were similar in size and complexity. The completed analyses resulted in target setting for multiple maintenance and operating improvement initiatives aimed at achieving cost savings and gross margin increases. The work involved site visits, employee interviews, final reporting, and presentations to company management.
- Refinery Due Diligence & Valuations – Participated in the preparation of annual property values for major domestic refineries. Work included assistance with discovery, analysis of refinery yields and operating costs, and preparation of financial models to support the valuations. Also assisted with due diligence of refineries offered for sale. Activities involved data room document reviews, determination of value using the DCF approach, site reviews and management interviews.
700 Central Expressway South
Allen, TX 75013