James L. Watson, P.E.
Jim co-founded the firm in 2007. He has over 33 years of operating and consulting experience in the energy industry including oil and gas production, pipelines, refining, chemicals, logistics, and power generation. Jim has consulted on diverse areas such as industrial accident investigations; contract disputes; environmental releases and liability; industrial property tax appraisal; construction disputes; acquisition and divestitures; business interruption and property damage; refinery performance improvement; and capital investment review. He has provided expert testimony on numerous matters at State and Federal court, appraisal review boards, government agencies, mediations, and domestic and international arbitrations.
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering – Southern Methodist University – 1983 – Magna cum Laude
- M.B.A. – University of Dallas – 2000
- Licensed Professional Engineer – Texas, Louisiana, Illinois, Virginia
- Accredited Senior Appraiser – American Society of Appraisers
- Industrial Accident Investigation and Litigation – Investigated numerous industrial accidents, major equipment failures, explosions, fires, including fatalities. Topics include roles and responsibilities for contractors, owners and operators regarding work and safety practices, procedures, and safety regulations. Industries include refineries, chemical plants, power plants, paper mills, surface mining, retail gasoline stations and other industrial work sites.
- Valuation Of Refinery, Chemicals, Natural Gas Processing, Pipeline, Storage, Terminals, Fertilizer, and Cement Facilities – Prepared valuations of and provided testimony for numerous facilities for purposes of ad-valorem tax, acquisitions and divestitures on behalf of owners, buyers, sellers, and taxing entities.
- Environmental Contamination From Industrial Sites – Evaluated operating and maintenance practices, both current and historical, that led to ground and groundwater contamination at various refinery, chemical plant, and crude oil and petroleum product sites.
- Business Interruption and Property Damage Claims – Prepared and evaluated the financial losses arising from numerous accidents and incidents that occurred at refineries, chemical plants, power plants, pipelines, and other facilities. Investigated and quantified the monetary value for the business interruption and property damage incurred and assisted clients in the successful resolution of the claims whether through negotiation, arbitration, or litigation.
- Government Regulatory Agencies – Provided expert testimony before government agencies regulating the energy industry such as the Pipeline Hazardous and Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), Texas Railroad Commission (TRRC), and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- Hurricane Damage Assessments – Performed physical inspection and developed estimated cost of loss and repair caused by storm and flood damage from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita to power generating plants and electrical distribution systems across southern Louisiana and Texas with specific emphasis in the greater New Orleans area.
- Refinery and Chemical Plant Contract Disputes – Assessed the financial magnitude and contract basis for numerous claims of non-compliance and non-performance with contracts between adjacent refineries and chemical plants. Issues included feedstock transfers, pricing, expense allocations, material balance, and reporting across the U.S.
700 Central Expressway South
Allen, TX 75013