John W. Emory
John joined Watson Millican & Co. in February 2008. He has over 30 years of engineering and commercial experience in the natural gas, pipeline, refining and power generation industries.
John’s considerable experience in the development and management of midstream energy and power projects has been applied in a wide range of consulting engagements including project development and assessments, gas pipeline and processing facility due diligence, construction and contractual disputes, business and asset valuations, acquisition and divestiture analyses, private and federal royalty matters, and litigation support roles.
John is a registered professional engineer in Texas and Michigan. John has testified as an expert in numerous construction disputes, oil & gas royalty cases, and contract claims in federal and state courts, ICC and AAA arbitrations, and before dispute resolution boards.
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering – Michigan State University – 1981
- M.B.A. – Cleveland State University – 1989
- Crude Oil Pipeline Construction – Provided expert reports and deposition testimony on behalf of crude oil pipeline construction contractor in support of breach of contract claims made by owner. Conducted evaluation of contractor performance under a reimbursable target price contract including impact of right of-way delays, scope changes, and weather delays.
- Midstream Due Diligence – Assisted energy distribution company with due diligence for potential transaction involving gas gathering and processing assets in Permian Basin including over 4,000 miles of gas and liquid pipelines, four gas processing plants, and multiple gas treating plants. Prepared comprehensive economic model of the integrated gathering and processing assets that was used to determine valuations and evaluate key sensitivities.
- Gas Processing Plant Dispute – Prepared expert reports and testified in Australian arbitration on behalf of EPC contractor involved in engineering and construction of offshore platform, sub-sea pipelines, and onshore gas processing plant. Issues involved impact of change to feedstock design basis as well as numerous engineering and construction related defect claims made by owner.
- San Juan Basin Royalty Case – Conducted independent evaluation and provided expert opinions on behalf of large coal bed methane (CBM) gas producer in San Juan Basin in response to underpayment claims made by royalty owners. Analyzed use and purpose of gas quality specifications in wellhead purchase and gathering contracts, quality and composition of CBM production, usability and consumption of gas prior to treatment or processing, and common practices of producers and midstream companies in the San Juan Basin.
- Power Plant Development Engineering – Led development engineering for a 1,200 MW gas-fired combined cycle power plant in Oklahoma. Developed complete EPC Scope Book, negotiated EPC contract, and managed a ten-mile water pipeline project, transmission and two major natural gas interconnections. Supported project efforts to secure project financing, special use zoning approval, and air and water permits.
- Pipeline Construction Project – Project Manager for $80 million 36-inch pipeline looping project in Southeast Michigan. Responsible for regulatory testimony, scope of work development, selection and management of engineering-procurement-construction management firm (EPCM), and capital budget and construction schedule preparation.
700 Central Expressway South
Allen, TX 75013